X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California divided into six states

I am hoping the state in orange has low income tax and property tax.

Proximity to USC games + extra money in wallet = win-win

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/tim...ign=fb&ncid=fb
    TechCrunch has learned about noted technology investor Tim Draper's plan to split California into six separate states, including a Northern California slice..

I'd be in favor of this if they drew the border of the Eastern Central section 15 miles or so further south so that Santa Clarita would be included with the proposed most conservative subdivided section.

Comment

• norcalsurfer408
      norcalsurfer408 commented
      Editing a comment
      ditto. plus can't let the folks in the green state enjoy their time at the Oak Tree Gun Club.

• SCBIGTIME
      SCBIGTIME commented
      Editing a comment
      My brothers and I will be meeting up there after the holidays to try out some our new big boy Christmas toys.

I hear northern Arizona is nice........if this doesn't work out, you know.

Comment

This is truly a brilliant idea that sadly is a non starter. this country desperately needs a total re alignment, with a substantial return of autonomy to the state local level, and them even more to the county local level. Smartly, progressives understand that more power to Washington means more blanket policies can be forced on those who don't want them. I would love for sections of the country that have oil and natural gas to tell the rest of the country to go screw themselves.

Comment

i remember discussions of this over the years. Wiki claims many more than i've heard about... over 220 times

Comment

• 901 Club
          901 Club commented
          Editing a comment
          One of them was actually adopted by the state, dividing the state at the 36th parallel, and it was sent to Congress, where Congress didn't act.

• norcalsurfer408
          Editing a comment
          the 38th parallel is very close to Berkeley, CA which shares some communist ideals like North Korea, also above the 38th parallel. Coincidence?

• TroyBill
          TroyBill commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember this years and years ago. They wanted to split California in two. If they split CA in 6 parts there are areas so supported by welfare they would look like Detroit in a few years.

Originally posted by norcalsurfer408 View Post
        I am hoping the state in orange has low income tax and property tax.

Proximity to USC games + extra money in wallet = win-win

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/19/tim...ign=fb&ncid=fb
        I got a kick out of the comment section. No wonder this state is in peril.

Comment

• norcalsurfer408
          Editing a comment
          I am still laughing from one of the posters who said what is wrong with marrying a pillow

Wacky divisions. Draper, by dividing the state horizontally, is forcing all of the rural eastern counties to be at the mercy of all the lefty loons to the West that they'd love to get away from. It's the rural counties' disdain for the leftist lunatics like those in the San Francisco Bay area that usually fuel these talks in the first place. Why would Tuolumne, then, want to be under the control of San Francisco or San Jose? Why would Monterey? Why would Lake Tahoe want to be under the thumb of Marin or Sacramento? Anybody think San Luis Obispo wants to be lumped with L. A. and Santa Barbara? Or that Santa Barbara wants to be tied to L. A.?
        Last edited by TheRealAirbns; 12-20-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• TheRealAirbns
          TheRealAirbns commented
          Editing a comment
          "It would be the last drop of water that SF or LA ever see."

That, or they'd have to actually pay for it. Water is a scarce commodity in the West.

San Francisco actually has some water, though. L. A. would be up a creek.

• DJ4SC
          DJ4SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually SF would be up the same creek as they get their water from an outside source too.

• TheRealAirbns
          TheRealAirbns commented
          Editing a comment
          It does, but it also has Crystal Springs reservoir, which belongs to S.F., and it has wells in the city that have been closed off since it's been getting its water from Hetch-Hetchy. The bottom line is that its a city with only around 800,000 residents, and it has access to a decent amount of water even without Hetch-Hetchy.

The rest of the Bay Area, on the other hand, wouldn't be faring so well. Much of the Bay Area buys it's water from San Francisco's Hetch-Hetchy supply.

Would probably be as successful as the San Fernando Valley split from LA. Too many dollars at stake resulting in a lower distribution of wealth. Then there will be the infrastructure fights for such things as water. I don't see this happening no matter how good an idea it may be.

Comment

• 901 Club
          901 Club commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree.

Also would be question of "reparations" for existing public works infrastructure .

• TheRealAirbns
          TheRealAirbns commented
          Editing a comment
          Reparations for what? The only thing I can think of that might qualify is all the money the state has paid for the infrastructure to send water from the North to the South.
      Working...
      X