Crazy fishing day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy fishing day

Walk up to the South Platte River out of Deckers,Colorado, cast an egg pattern, 2 Bit Hooker, and Midge pattern into a small run and hook one of the biggest trout i have ever caught. The sound from the door of my Subaru hadnt stopped echoing off the rock walls and i got a hog fighting me. Crazy.

Originally posted by flyfishintrojan View Post
    Walk up to the South Platte River out of Deckers,Colorado, cast an egg pattern, 2 Bit Hooker, and Midge pattern into a small run and hook one of the biggest trout i have ever caught. The sound from the door of my Subaru hadnt stopped echoing off the rock walls and i got a hog fighting me. Crazy.
    Awesome! Isn't there about 4' of snow on the banks right now?

Comment

• GaryB
      GaryB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great. We had record snow this year. I went up to the Fall river and fished next to the hatchery on Monday. I watched a guy wade into the water and I wondered how the hell he was going to get out. He had to call his buddy over and the two of them spent a good 15 minutes cutting foot holds to help him out. He did catch a couple of nice fish while wading, so I guess it all equals out.

How long was your trout?

I just bought a 2/3 setup with #3 double taper line. Can't wait to see how big a trout I can handle. The local stream produces up to about 20''

• flyfishintrojan
      flyfishintrojan commented
      Editing a comment
      My buddy estimated it at 21 inches. The run it was in was tiny. It was liking catching a blue whale inside the Redondo Beach Harbor.

• GaryB
      GaryB commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job! Good size trout.

Crazy fishing day meaning the crazies are fishing?

Comment

Lots of snow in the Sierra Nevadas

Comment

Can't wait to hit June Lake when the season opens.

Comment

• IETrojanFan
        IETrojanFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Speaking my language! We usually hit Gull lake in early June, as I don't get out of school until then. Gull is the only lake on the loop with a campground on the lake. Best spot on God's green earth.

• holt7153
        holt7153 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, lots of great things to see and do around the loop. Too bad it's seems to be getting more crowded.

Thanks Fly. I was sittng here listening to the rain on my roof and watching TV coverage of miserable golfers slogging through the wind and rain at Riviera, then I read your post and I'm fighting a lunker trout on a river in Colorado. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Fly, have you ever salt water fly fished? I want to try it out here in Alamitos Bay, but do not know much about fly fishing. Looks like good therapy for the stresses of life.

Comment

• listen2menow&hearmelater
          Editing a comment
          There is a pretty decent fly fishing club right there in long beach. Think it's called the Long Beach Casting Club.

• sctrojan2006
          sctrojan2006 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I will check them out. ✌️

Yep. Boca Paila in Mexico, Rancho Leonara , bc, Campeche in Mexico, Playa Blanca in Mexico, Belize, Los Roques in Venezuela; Acklins, Freeport, Abaco, in the Bahamas.

Going to Christmas Island in March. I have also caught bonefish on Oahu.

Comment

• flyfishintrojan
          Editing a comment
          there is a spot open for anyone on my xmas island trip. Who wants to learn to saltwater fish for bones and trevally?

• sctrojan2006
          sctrojan2006 commented
          Editing a comment
          I may be interested in that, Fly. PM me the details

• sctrojan2006
          sctrojan2006 commented
          Editing a comment
          GB and Fly, thanks for the links

I want to know more about the 2 bit hooker.

Comment

• uscvball
          uscvball commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure her name was Midge. At least she knew how to swim.

You guys ever build your own poles? I did it for about 15-20 years back in the 70s and up. Built a couple of ultra, ultra lights, with one lb test. Hook a fingerling and it was like Jaws on the other end. First catch on a pole you build yourself is really something special.
        Sad that I haven't fished in about 15 years. Jealous of you guys.

Comment

Editing a comment
          My high school friend who introduced me to fly fishing builds poles as a hobby/side business. Actually has developed quite a following and is now able to charge up to $1,200 per pole. Crazy. He made my son's Christmas by bringing him down a new custom pole.

• GaryB
          GaryB commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still trying to catch my first fish on the flies that I tie. It's amazing what these artisans can accomplish. Fly's 2 bit hook is a thing of beauty.

2 bit hooker

Invented and tied by a casual buddy, Charlie Craven

One spot open for xmas Island

Garyb, money or your mouth.

Giant trevally of xmas island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gDgPczyl98

Xmas island bonefish

Comment

• GaryB
          GaryB commented
          Editing a comment
          I always think of John D McDonald whenever I read about bonefish. Travis McGee, resident of Bahia Mar, and the slayer of Bonefish. It must be an incredible experience to hook into one.

Watch this, giant trevally doing what they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mA6WsFJQE

Comment

• flyfishintrojan
          Editing a comment
          If you hook a giant trevally on a flyrod, be prepared to lose your rig. They are beasts and will rip off 250 yards of line in a blink. However you can now die a happy death!

I don't have the patience to fish. Tried it but no matter where I was at I always felt like I had to be somewhere else doing something different. God bless the fishermen with their hearty souls : )

Comment

Editing a comment
          That's why you should fly fish. It's not like drowning worms in a lake. It's active and strategic.Don't have enough bandwidth to think of anything else, if you;'re doing it right.

I've never gone flyfishing, but I've always thought it looks awesome! I would love to hit the Owen's River... but then, I'm also essentially lazy and love to sit on the pontoon up at Gull and dip several lines and wait in anticipation.

As a teacher, my new T-shirt reads: Education is good. Fishing is gooder.

Fly, what kind of trout was it? 21" would be in the 3 lb. range, no? Nice snag!!!

Comment

• flyfishintrojan
          Editing a comment
          3 lbs is about right. Fishing has been spotty for the past couple years. Fishing pressures are high due to the Colorado population boom. I ended up catching 7 fish that day, all between 16-21 inches, in 3 hours.

This is usually ski season but the snow sucks.
      Working...
      X