USC Aviation Safety and Security Program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC Aviation Safety and Security Program

I didn't know we had one. I found out when reading about Harrison Ford's screw up at John Wayne airport a couple days ago. Dude mistook a taxiway for a runway and flew right over the top of a 737 with more than 100 people on board. And then he wanted to know if the tower had knowingly put him in that situation. Lol. It may be time for him to hang up his wings. USC experts say he likely faces some form of punishment and the FAA has opened a formal investigation.

Harrison Ford's close call at John Wayne Airport on Monday - in which he mistakenly landed on a taxiway as an American Airlines jet was preparing for takeoff - could have easily ended in disaster, aviation experts said, adding that the actor is likely to face some type of disciplinary action.

Air traffic controllers told Ford to land his vintage plane on a runway. But for reasons that are unclear, he landed on a parallel commercial aviation taxiway, flying over the 737 passenger jet with more than 100 onboard. The jet was holding on the taxiway preparing to head to the main runway.

Aviation officials and experts described the incident as highly unusual and troubling.

"This is a very, very high-risk situation," said Michael Barr, a senior instructor at the USC Aviation Safety and Security Program. "If he stalled, there would have been a catastrophic result. He flew over a packed airliner."
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cele...Et9?li=BBnb7Kz

I knew... have a friend from high school that is part of the program.

Comment

I saw this and had this question...

How do you mistake a taxiway for a runway at an airport that only has one long and one short runway???
      The main runway sits on the west side of the airport with the shorter one (private)in the center and he managed to land on the taxiway? Wow.

Comment

Lucky that Ford didn't mistake the 405 for the landing strip.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ4SC View Post
          I saw this and had this question...

How do you mistake a taxiway for a runway at an airport that only has one long and one short runway???
          The main runway sits on the west side of the airport with the shorter one (private)in the center and he managed to land on the taxiway? Wow.
          I've been trying to figure that out since it happened. The taxiways are not very big there. I don't even begin to understand how that mistake is made.

Comment

• DJ4SC
            DJ4SC commented
            Editing a comment
            It would also put him very close to the terminal. I'm wondering if they wanted him to land on the main runway (because of the waiting aircraft) and he landed on the shorter private strip as that would be the only way he could fly over a waiting aircraft. Maybe the article used taxiway in lieu of runway? Hard to say.

• DJ4SC
            DJ4SC commented
            Editing a comment
            I found this and yeah, he sure did....

Man was he and that other plane lucky......http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ane-AGAIN.html

• uscvball
            uscvball commented
            Editing a comment
            I fly in and out of SNA and I just can't figure out how he made that big of a mistake. Visually, he had to have seen how close he was to the terminal. At least the Santa Ana's weren't blowing or he'd have landed from the South and may very well have collided with that plane.

Here's the video. Scary. I still don't understand how he could have mistaken the taxiway for a runway. He knows there are just two of them and visuals would indicate he missed the two to his right.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows...ry?id=45647557

Comment

• DJ4SC
            DJ4SC commented
            Editing a comment
            That AA crew probably had to change their shorts after that.

That is a gross error no two ways about it.

This is really a bizarre mistake. The runways are clearly marked with their headings and L or R and the fact he asked if there should have been a plane underneath him is baffling.

Comment

Working...
          X