OCC student suspended for recording teacher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC student suspended for recording teacher

Keep in mind this was a class on human sexuality and the professor who is a gay Latina claims she was ''frightened'' by Trump's election and that her comments ''were meant to comfort those who were upset about the election of Trump and offer resources should students feel discriminated against.''

The student actually felt intimidated by it so he recorded her saying, among other things, " the election of Donald Trump “an act of terrorism” and declared that those “leading the assault are among us." He took the video to administrators to show that she was using the classroom as a pulpit. So what happened?

He "was suspended from school and told to write a letter of apology as well as a three-page essay about the incident...To be allowed back in school, the letter says, O’Neil’s essay is to be three pages and double-spaced and must discuss why he videotaped the professor. Also, the essay is to cover his “thoughts and analysis” on why he decided to share the videos, what he thought would happen to Cox and “the impact of the video going ‘viral’ and the ensuing damage to Orange Coast College students, faculty and staff."

Meanwhile, "Orange Coast College President Dennis Harkins had previously said his administration would investigate whether Cox’s comments were appropriate and within the context of what she teaches. Whether that has concluded is unclear."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...-neil-cox.html

So, student feels concerned, gets proof, goes to admins for help.....gets suspended! Teacher continues employment, no problem. And students still can't video a teacher....in an environment funded by the taxpayer. Didn't a teacher in CA just retired from complaints about a confederate flag? The butthurt only goes one way I guess.

The school should either be shut down outright or the entire administration purged as an example of what happens to fascist educators who use classrooms as indoctrination halls. I've had enough of this shit and it's about time we stopped excusing it, let alone put up with it.

Comment

Ridiculous.

Did you know that if you attend a public meeting (i.e., a meeting of a governmental body required to be open to the public by law) in California, you may make an audio or video recording unless the state or local body holding the meeting determines that the recording disrupts the proceedings by noise, illumination, or obstruction of view. Cal. Gov't Code § 11124.1(a); Cal Gov't Code §§ 54953.5(a),-.6.?

The same rule should apply to schools.

Comment

• fssca51
        fssca51 commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely right and proper. There is no earthly reason why classes should not be open to public scrutiny. There are various reasons why a teacher might want to be recorded, none of them justifiable.
        Last edited by fssca51; 02-15-2017, 04:43 PM.

wacko teacher, stupid student, feckless administrators. Can any good come out of all this?... not likely.

Comment

Its a great opportunity for the student to articulate in essay form just how horrible these teachers are.

Comment

The dean of students there is a leftist loon.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

Comment

Sat next to a high-ranking CA teachers union rep on a plane not long ago...another alt-left loon that should be kept as far away from children as possible.

Comment

So as I was driving car pool home I asked if any of their teachers had ever told them they could or couldn't record in class. They seemed to know that there was school rule prohibiting it, that they didn't recall anyone ever asking to, but there was one teacher.....

A history teacher who had made a point of explicitly telling them the law, the school rules, and threatened them with suspension should they get caught. So I asked why they thought this teacher might not want to be on video. Well, teacher goes off subject a lot. Teacher asks questions/makes comments that don't seem to have much to do with history. Like? Teacher doesn't like Trump very much.

Comment

• DJ4SC
                DJ4SC commented
                Editing a comment
                I wonder if there's a connection?

The history ''teacher'' at my wife's school feels the same way about Trump....as well as the English, Science, and Math teachers....lol

The grandmother is a conservative Republican. This is a hit job by liberal bullies on a conservative kid. He should sue, sue, sue. Federal civil rights violations. Every word spoken in a public school classroom belongs to the taxpayers. We pay for them. We own them. They're ours.

There is a legal defense fund for him. Then the liberal re-education camp demanded he write an apology. That's intentional infliction of emotional distress. He should sue for that too.

Comment

Sounds to me like the college should have been taping these classes.....academia has been ruined by the left

Comment

We used to tape lectures all the time and then we would transcribe them to paper and sell them to the other students in case they blew off class or weren't good at note taking.

Can you write write down teacher comments? I thought that is why we went to class.
                  Last edited by flyfishintrojan; 02-23-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• uscvball
                    uscvball commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm sure some students still do this. I know student athletes in college depend on it.

This policy is about covering up the politicization of the CA classroom. That's it. Anyone who claims otherwise is going full-emu.

• flyfishintrojan
                    flyfishintrojan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think I could easily fight this in court. " Your honor, I must tape all my lectures because I struggle to learn just by writing due to the way I absorb info. By taping it I can get all the knowledge and my grades are better."

• DJ4SC
                    DJ4SC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They already hand out recording devices for those with learning disabilities. V-Ball is correct. This is all about squelching the opposing view.

An additional piece of info that didn't make the original reporting is that during her diatribe, this teacher asked Trump supporters to stand up and be accountable. Considering that the teacher declared Trump supporters to be the enemy among them, this student had every right to feel as though their grade could be impacted. Outrageous that he's being punished and she's gotten away with violating her contract under the guise of ''giving emotional support''.

As for the legality of recording devices, since 2009, OCC has issued recording devices to school police deputies so they could record interactions with students and faculty. That way, according to OCC spokesman Sean Bennett, "If there's a concern over an incident, then we have the video to verify what happened....it's a tool you can use to get unbiased video and decide where to go from there". HA!

So they DO use video to help sort out discrepancies.....but students can't use video to defend themselves. Got it.

Comment

• uscvball
                    uscvball commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It has gotten a lot of play nationally and this student has gotten all kinds of support. Local officials have lent their support and put pressure on OCC. The Register put out a very strong editorial in favor of the student. I'm not sure it's dead in the water.....yet.

• Jpltrojan
                    Jpltrojan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spent 30 years in OC...I'd be disappointed if this didn't get corrected but my limited experiences with the educational element in OC suggests this will get swept under the rug and forgotten. Anxious to see this teacher gone but doubt it'll happen.

• TroyBill
                    TroyBill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This teacher is a total ass hat and should be fired. She had no right asking the question when the results were going to be bad for those admitting this. You cannot argue with a liberal. You might as well piss up a rope. The only accepts facts that fit their agenda and ignore all others.

I love my latino brothers and sisters, but I'm tired of my latino friends claiming police are stopping them everywhere they go since Trump's election. Please stop the drama. Plus, most people support deportation of illegal who have committed felony crimes.

Comment

YUGE update:

OCC will lift it's suspension and other sanctions against the student. The Coast Community College BoT had a special meeting today and decided to bring this issue to a close. They received thousands of calls and letters from across the country in support of this student.

The only down side is that the case looking in to the teacher's misconduct has also been dropped.....as if there ever was one. The union representing the teachers is "disappointed". Good.

Comment

• Jpltrojan
                      Jpltrojan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Swept.....

• DJ4SC
                      DJ4SC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That ''union rep'' is a piece of work also.

• uscvball
                      uscvball commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Parts of this are disappointing but mostly I'm happy for this student to be able to return immediately without having to write some stupid essay. And props to all the people who wrote, called, emailed to support him. The pressure is what forced this decisions.

College Republicans at OCC should organized a tape-a-thon of class lectures. All classes should be streamed on the internet and archived at public schools.

Comment

Working...
                    X