Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPFL, the eventual end of College Football as we know it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPFL, the eventual end of College Football as we know it?

I know the tag line is a tad sensationalistic, however Yahoo Sports has a very interesting article on a new initiative to create a new pro football league starting in the summer of 2018, with a specific focus on developing players for the NFL right out of HS with FT pay and benefits. This could potentially turn today's college football and all it entails, into nothing more than what college baseball has become, where the best players turn pro immediately after HS and never make it to college. Many big name people with ties to the NFL (ex coaches, refs, agents, players, etc.) are involved. If this takes off, the repercussions are immense...

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/could-...100508944.html

Interested to hear Gary's thoughts as well as the rest of the board.

If the NFL is on board consider it done.
    Nicholas will be one unhappy man.

It's very rare that a recruit is ready for the NFL coming out of HS.
    What would be the benefit of a kid passing on college to play for this new league ?
    $$$$$ ?

This has a lot of ? on it.

Comment

• DohenyDays
      DohenyDays commented
      Editing a comment
      From a kid's point of view, the benefit would be not having to go to class and being able to spend more time honing his football skills.

• CoronaTrojanFan
      CoronaTrojanFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Doheny - isn't that what ASU is known for?

Although not sure there is a lot of honing of talent going on there these days .........

...collateral damage would be the extinction of every women's sports program and minor sports which are funded with College Football revenues.

Comment

• beeto
      beeto commented
      Editing a comment
      Great point. NCAA will fight this till they're blue.

• Tod78
      Tod78 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's only an issue for perhaps the top third of the schools. College football isn't a huge cash cow for everybody.

• SoCalN8tiv
      SoCalN8tiv commented
      Editing a comment
      The top third is all that really matters. Nobody pays top dollar to see the bottom 2/3rds.

No $$ for Title 9 & all other men sports

Comment

I think there is a lot of merit to the idea. Obviously the keys are in the details but I agree with a lot of what they are saying so far in terms of needing to teach pro style system (something that had always been an advantage for the Trojans when we ran it) and the need to give an option for those who simply don't want to go the college route.

I think there is the potential to help the college game rather than hurt it because there is a much larger college infrastructure in place for football than in baseball, and a high school football player will be able to compare the two options ($50K per year, community college for NFL option) and realize that total package you're offered at a school like USC is pretty valuable when you consider the education, the coaching, strength training, nutritionists, tutors, etc., not to mention the opportunity to be a big man on campus as part of the college football experience. But for some they just don't want to go that route and I like the thought of another option. And I don't think there would be a mass exodus of talent, i still think the vast majority would still choose college.
      Last edited by GarryP; 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• CoronaTrojanFan
        CoronaTrojanFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Result might be something like you see in hockey - fewer schools participating in the sport at big-time NCAA level and a somewhat cottage industry for minor league teams within certain regions where travel can be minimized.

Ultimately IMHO it would dilute talent levels within the conferences so bigger NCAA football programs might have to organize their own super-conferences for regular season games but would have the advantage of putting together a playoff system based upon merit and not upon committee opinions.

Are the fans going to pay to see Single/Double/Triple A minor league football? I think it will ultimately fail. I have no interest in watching minor league baseball or football.

Comment

• DJ4SC
        DJ4SC commented
        Editing a comment
        In a way if you watch College football you're already watching minor league as compared to the NFL.

I prefer minor league and do not watch much pro. It will be interesting to see if this proposal gains any support down the road.

• AllHailSC
        AllHailSC commented
        Editing a comment
        dj: minor league football and college football aren't in the same league. The one thing that ties college fans to their teams is their college. There's just no comparison between semi-pro or minor league football attendance and college football attendance.

• beeto
        beeto commented
        Editing a comment
        You're watching every NFL teams farm system in action when you watch Coll Football every Saturday.
        Were I think this idea fails is.....Most of the Coll Football players will not make it to the next level.
        Therefore, only a select few will benefit form this ,if by benefit one means the players are getting schooled on the NFL game.

What happens in case of injury ? What does the player do ?
        Who pays for surgery, rehab, ...trust me the NFL will not want this....why ?

Because it'll cost them $$$$...
        $$$$ they don't have to pay as we speak.

NFL owners have it good. Have a farm system were they don't invest a penny till they draft a particular player.
        This is a no go the more I think about it.

One of the first thing that would happen to the "league" is that the players would unionize. This will take a bite out of the $50K per year that the kids get. I doubt that the "league" will pay for housing, meals etc. Again a major bite out of the $50K. Then look at the taxes etc that the kids would need to pay. They will wind up with very little for playing. At least in college, they get a education, free meals and housing etc for the school year. Add that to the fact that if, in the first few years, the league fails, the kid has been a professional and will not be able to go back to the college system and not eligible to go to the NFL. So unless a kid has absolutely no interest in getting an education, why would they go this route?

Comment

Perhaps not exactly the same concept but just sayin' all failed:

Comment

• VM805
          VM805 commented
          Editing a comment
          What about the clown show aka XFL?

• old_trojan_93
          old_trojan_93 commented
          Editing a comment
          USFL failed because, anyone...

Donald Trump wanted to take it prime time before it was ready and play games during the fall instead of the spring where they had a monopoly on viewers.

There's a great 30 for 30 documentary on this where basically everyone slams him.

Also, not all the above failures were complete failures. Because of the USFL, player salaries went through the roof and are more commensurate with the long term health risk they take on.
          Last edited by old_trojan_93; 01-11-2017, 09:52 PM.

My guess, I will be the only one in America who will love college football even more than I do now.....

and continue to hate the NFL....

The NBA ruined college basketball as we knew it, and it is ruined for me now....the NFL will come to regret this move, as right now the colleges do all the work in training college football players for them, AT NO COST to them.....and that free ride will end.

Comment

• beeto
          beeto commented
          Editing a comment
          Scotty...while I hear what you say and respect your opinion of course I have to disagree.
          The NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL...none of these entities ruined anything in my opinion.

The goal for all players of any sport in the collegiate level is/was to advance to the highest level and become a pro at his/her sport.
          Because they decide to go pro after three years of coll sports or one doesn't take away the college football still rox....

Look at this years Rose Bowl, the Nat Championship game.
          These kids give a lot for our entertainment and while at it some of them enjoy a big payday when their time comes.

If you ask me, that's the a very winning situation for everybody.

I still like College football more than the NFL though. Especially when my raiders are involved.

• old_trojan_93
          old_trojan_93 commented
          Editing a comment
          These kids want to get paid. When I say paid, I mean legit cash in their hand. They aren't stupid and know millions of dollars are being made off their backs while they get a ''degree'' which declines in value with each passing day as the non-football field they're likely to work in gets closer and closer to being automated and taken over by a robot.

A few measly dollars per month that colleges pay for expenses, isn't enough. They see the millions being made and want a piece of the action. I don't blame them. College football better ante up or get left behind.
          Last edited by old_trojan_93; 01-12-2017, 12:37 PM.

• denali
          denali commented
          Editing a comment
          Not just training players for the NFL, but marketing them as well. Lots of guys have built-in fans before being drafted. In my case, I follow ex-USC players more than I follow specific NFL teams. If a team drafts a USC player I like, I'll follow that team.

A lot of kids would elect to go this route. Many have over exaggerated opinions of how good they actually are and really don't want to have anything to do with college.
        Ultimately, the D1 college football product would suffer, but D2 and D3 may really be hurt as more of those kids find themselves in the D1 level.

Comment

Originally posted by old scotty View Post
          My guess, I will be the only one in America who will love college football even more than I do now.....

and continue to hate the NFL....

The NBA ruined college basketball as we knew it, and it is ruined for me now....the NFL will come to regret this move, as right now the colleges do all the work in training college football players for them, AT NO COST to them.....and that free ride will end.

No, a lot of us will continue to love college football.

As to a minor league, first it would only work in cities without NFL teams. If one goes into those cities, one ends up often competing with a college team (e.g., the Austin Outlaws?). How many cities don't have a college?

Major colleges are their own draw for the team. The Ohio State alum base is huge. If not for alums, UCLA games would have no one there.

So colleges will stand on their own, like they did in the days of Howard Jones.

But how about today if there were no NFL? A lot of the players coming out of high school are only going to college to prepare for the NFL, and if no NFL why bother with college at all, they say to themselves.

Just ruminating.

Comment

• SouthbayTrojan91
            SouthbayTrojan91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Where will these teams play? They need either an NFL or a college stadium. There surely will be no money to build anything. I guess they could play in a high school "stadium".

Just a thought; is this all subterfuge with the goal of getting college players compensated? (you know, compensation beyond free food, free housing, free medical care, free training and free education)

Comment

• 1diehardSCFan
            1diehardSCFan commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know if that's the goal, but I think that could be the result. Think about it... if it appears as if this new league is going to be a success, and take a significant bite out of the cfb talent pool, the NCAA will suddenly decide that players should share in the money the college game generates, and they will start paying them. Once that happens, the new league will surely disappear and life will go on.

I don't think there will be much interest in watching these games, probably won't make much money, that is why they offer only $50,000 to the players. But all those kids that will end up getting money from the agents and get their school in trouble can now go this route instead of going to college, good riddance to them.

Comment

Gary, thanks for the reply. My gut tells me that the differences in the approach the value proposition this league offers, from the payment structure (flat $50k per player) to the season timing (summer), to the intent (teaching NFL football skills vs. CFB skills) ,WILL be extremely tempting to a segment of 5*, and other players who struggle academically or are delusional or needy enough to forgo a college degree.

There can't help to be an impact to the college game with this type of option available. The question is really how many kids will select this option instead of attending a USC/Alabama/Ohio State/Stanford/Clemson etc. A $50k salary is right in spectrum of what a recent college grad makes (maybe a tad less) and would still allow kids to attend college in their "off-season" if they wanted.

I just hope this league doesn't become soo successful that the D2 quality football of today becomes D1 the norm of tomorrow.

Comment

• SouthbayTrojan91
              SouthbayTrojan91 commented
              Editing a comment
              that is exactly what will happen.
              Many of these kids will have parents who don't make $50k. If you offer them $50K and tell them you will train them to get into the NFL there will be a LOT of kids who will want to go that route.

To them $50K sounds like a shit load of money.

SEC schools will probably suffer the most from this..... so maybe it is not all bad.

Comment

• Cyrus
              Cyrus commented
              Editing a comment
              SEC schools pay more than $50,000
          Working...
          X