The Curse of "Greatest Ever"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse of "Greatest Ever"

As an SEC - Alabama -Nick Saban hater, I want to thank the sports media for declaring the Alabama defense the best in the history of college football. Were they dominant - absolutely - leading every possible defensive category. But when you say the greatest ever, the football gods step in and say "Not so fast, my friend". We should know.

Somewhere in that discussion will be Saban-coached teams, whether at Bama or LSU. It may not have been this year but he's coached teams that historically, register in every defensive category.

Comment

I heard a crazy metric from the Championship Drive podcast that said this year's Bama defense was the most efficient unit on either offense or defense in the last 15 years i think. The #2 and 3 units were the 2005 USC offense and the 2008 Oklahoma offense. As we know, all 3 of these teams lost their NC garnes and neither USC or OU has made an NC game since then (still bitter about 2008).

Comment

Originally posted by contracostatrojan View Post
        As an SEC - Alabama -Nick Saban hater, I want to thank the sports media for declaring the Alabama defense the best in the history of college football. Were they dominant - absolutely - leading every possible defensive category. But when you say the greatest ever, the football gods step in and say "Not so fast, my friend". We should know.

This championship game his team was let down by his offense. Clemson ran 99 offensive plays. If Alabama can run the ball and burn the clock Clemson can't win. But if you punt 11 times as Alabama did you must eventually lose to a team with Watson at QB

Comment

• contracostatrojan
          contracostatrojan commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good point. They may still go down as the greatest defense ever, but I guess my point was that if somebody says you're the best ever, something happens to suggest your not.

655321 commented
          Editing a comment
          As a non-SEC fan I have to give Nick credit for having greatest run in history. There is no way you can compare any teams success in the 30's-60's where there was no scholarship limitations, early departures, and no ever changing system to determine #1 on the field to today. Even the 70s and 80s allowed more scholi players. ALa will be right there in 2017. WIll see if Clemson goes the Auburn road once their superman left.

• SouthbayTrojan91
          SouthbayTrojan91 commented
          Editing a comment
          After the first qrtr that defense of Alabama did not look that great. If you are supposed to be that great on defense, then get a stop on 3rd down when you need it.

The bama offense has not been that great all year. In both playoff games, when facing a stout defense, they became very one dimensional.

. . . I want to thank the sports media for declaring the Alabama defense the best in the history of college football. Were they dominant - absolutely - leading every possible defensive category. But when you say the greatest ever, the football gods step in and say "Not so fast, my friend". We should know.
        Well, that seems to be true in all facets of life.

When the consensus is that something is indestructible, greatest ever, can't be beat . . . usually it is laying in a pile of smoking rubble, sunk at the bottom of the ocean, or suffering an upset loss within the calendar year.

The greatest ever tag usually just means . . . it's the best we've seen lately.

Comment

• Alfa1
          Alfa1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah.....Remember the Titantic, supposed to be unsinkable. We all know how that went.

Originally posted by bob c in az View Post

This championship game his team was let down by his offense. Clemson ran 99 offensive plays. If Alabama can run the ball and burn the clock Clemson can't win. But if you punt 11 times as Alabama did you must eventually lose to a team with Watson at QB
        I posted in another thread on the NC game, that the tide turned (pun intended) for Alabama when RB Bo Scarborough (#9) got hurt.

He was running through Clemson's defense to the tune of two first half 30 yard TDs, just like he did Washington in the semifinal game.

When Scarborough got hurt . . . Bama could no longer control the ball on offense and wear Clemson down.

They had to rely solely on true freshman Jalen Hurts to make plays in the passing game for first downs . . . and he couldn't do it (Bama was 2 - 15 on 3rd down conversions).

Bama could not keep Clemson's offense off the field with ball control, and Dechaun Watson and those Clemson receivers made them pay.

Comment

• HelixTrojan
          HelixTrojan commented
          Editing a comment
          If Sam Darnold got hurt in the Rose Bowl in the 2nd quarter?

Does the NEXT MAN UP win that Rose Bowl game?

No.

Your starters are the starters for a reason.

As it stands, Bama lost the NC game with 1 second left, against a great team in Clemson, who they beat by only 5 the year before.

Against anyone else . . . Bama wins another NC.

Bama's whole offense is built on ball control.

When the key player got hurt, they couldn't beat Clemson another way with a true freshman QB Jalen Hurts throwing the ball.

They almost did . . . Hurts led and scored on Bama's final drive to retake the lead.

But it wasn't enough against Clemson, who matched up with Bama better than any team in the country . . . two years in a row.

• KeenObserver
          KeenObserver commented
          Editing a comment
          Cmon helix, you're smarter than this. We aren't bama and Scarborough is not Darnold. If they lost that game because a player got hurt than that team is nowhere close to best ever conversation. Case closed.

• HelixTrojan
          HelixTrojan commented
          Editing a comment
          Again . . . Bama didn't just lose to anybody.

They lost in the last second to one of the best two teams in the country . . . Clemson.

If you don't have all of your weapons against another great opponent . . . you'll probably lose.

Bama lost Scarborough this year . . . and lost a close game.

Clemson did not have Mike Williams last year . . . and lost a close game.

Pretty simple.

I'm not talking a best ever conversation . . . I'm talking basic football.

Which is why the story of Achilles' demise is the ultimate metaphor for whatever is deemed indestructible.

Comment

As an SEC - Alabama -Nick Saban hater, I want to thank the sports media for declaring the Alabama defense the best in the history of college football.
          I'm a sports media hater (OK, most of sports media, there's a few good ones, like Wearesc)

I don't hate Saban, although I can't say I like him either nor do I like Alabama. But there's no questioning his place as one of the top 2 or 3 coaches of all time. And his defense has always been the strongest aspect of his team, sometimes carrying a fairly mild offense.

I hate to admit it, but I came to the conclusion that this year's Alabama defense ranks among the best of all time, quite possibly THE best, and the NC game didn't really change that. But the problem is that there's no way to accurately compare. It's just like when I say that the 2004 USC team is the best team I've ever seen on the college football field, it's purely subjective, there's no possible way to say that for sure.

Comment

Saw holes in the greatest

Comment

One of the 3 reasons I bet Clemson......my friend said Alabama was ''too good to lose ''.

Welcome to SPORTS, my friend.

Comment

• DaFireMedic
                DaFireMedic commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, I remember a Patriots team heading to the Super Bowl undefeated and planning to make history, only to fall to a Giants team that (according to the experts) was not supposed to put up much of a fight.

• contracostatrojan
                contracostatrojan commented
                Editing a comment
                As they say ''That's why you play the game''.

• DaFireMedic
                DaFireMedic commented
                Editing a comment
                @cct

Exactly.....

Clemson almost played the perfect game and still won

Comment

The BAMA defense was the best I have ever seen. I mean they scored 15 TD'S this season on D and ST's

Comment

Josh Rosen proves your point, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by HelixTrojan View Post

I posted in another thread on the NC game, that the tide turned (pun intended) for Alabama when RB Bo Scarborough (#9) got hurt.

He was running through Clemson's defense to the tune of two first half 30 yard TDs, just like he did Washington in the semifinal game.

When Scarborough got hurt . . . Bama could no longer control the ball on offense and wear Clemson down.

They had to rely solely on true freshman Jalen Hurts to make plays in the passing game for first downs . . . and he couldn't do it (Bama was 2 - 15 on 3rd down conversions).

Bama could not keep Clemson's offense off the field with ball control, and Dechaun Watson and those Clemson receivers made them pay.
                    It probably did take the perfect storm for Bama to lose that game and that defense is composed of terrific personnel. Saban is probably the best teacher of fundamentals on the defensive side of the field in college football history.

That being said, different pro scouts throughout the season have stated their belief that the only possible weakness they could see was their secondary. The problem was that their front seven was so dominant in putting pressure on the quarterback with just the dline and then The linebackers and secondary reacted so quickly to the hot routes that they would choke off the quick outlet passes in the passing game so that unless you had a terrific combination of pro style quarterback and receivers, you basically had no chance to have long multiple play scoring drives.These kinds of attacks were basically non-existent in the sec this year or really any year.

Another area that made Bama's defense so special was their front seven was probably the most dominant run defense ever. This is why I believe that the only chance to move the ball against them was by almost completely abandoning the running game and throwing virtually every play which goes against almost every head coach's core football values. Pete made this decision against Michigan in the 08 Rose Bowl to jump start the Trojans dormant offense to that point.

Bama's offense having so many 3 and outs allowed Clemson to wear out the Bama front four in combination with Watson's ability to convert on 3rd down. While Clemson did not play a perfect game offensively. Enough factors worked in out in their favor to allow them to beat an all time great defense without the aid of a single turnover.

A great example of why College Football is the greatest sport on the planet!
                    Last edited by uscmike5524; 01-12-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Slide View Post
                      Josh Rosen proves your point, LOL.
                      How? if they had played UCLA they might have had a few more?
                      Name a better defense in the last 30 years.

Comment

• 3rd Slide
                        3rd Slide commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The chosen one's greatness has obviously been spanked down. He is (was?) certainly talented but the hype ran well ahead until his ''not so fast, my friend'' moment.
                    Working...
                    X