Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So does Bammer win with Kiffin at the helm on O?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So does Bammer win with Kiffin at the helm on O?

Kiffin will not discourage that opinion, that's for sure.

But the Tide did put 31 up against a tough defense, with a true Frosh QB and their best RB injured.

Then again, that means you have to give some credit to Sark. Damn.

How much did Pitt put up on that D?

Comment

One game? haha. Clemson's D is ranked 8th nationally in total defense: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Comment

• KeenObserver
        KeenObserver commented
        Editing a comment
        5 teams went 30 + on Clemson. Some those could be defensive or return touchdowns, but its not like we are talking about 1991 Washington

• zitorocks
        zitorocks commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you on that one KO...Clemson's defense was not THAT good. They gave up 24 points to Troy and 35 to Virginia Tech. Count 34 to FSU and 36 to Louisville. The rest were chumps on offense. tOSU and Auburn are the only decent teams they played that didn't score at least 30 points on their defense.

The Bama offense didn't shine against UW, and that was with Kiffen.

It's possible that Bama wins with Kiffen, as Sark has always struggled to sustain drives and run out the clock, regardless of the talent at his disposal, and that appeared to happen here. But the fact is that we will never know if Kiffen would have been the difference.

Comment

Those two bozos were there for three reasons 1) To feed Saban's ego 2) bullshit recruits.3) Stick it in SC's face

Comment

• aimeedee2
          aimeedee2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Soooooooo.......Saban is ''sticking it in SC's face'' by having a more successful career with the aid USC's cast-offs? How dare he! I've said it before. You guys remind me of the shallow girl who dumps her boyfriend and then gets mad when the head cheerleader takes an interest in him.

Carroll could have had a better college career than Saban, but he chose to move on. That isn't Saban's fault. And. if Sark and Kiffin are the bozos you constantly say they are, you shouldn't care that Saban hired them.
          Last edited by aimeedee2; 01-10-2017, 03:08 PM.

• KeenObserver
          KeenObserver commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems like it bothers you more that they failed and we remember that. You've said a lot of stupid things; it hard to keep track.

• aimeedee2
          aimeedee2 commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL! Seems like you're more bothered by the fact that they're landing on their feet. Why should that bother you? Talk about petty!

The real question is what happened to Hurts in the post season? That's the mystery.

UW held him to 50 yards passing/50 yards running. Clemson held him to 131 yards passing, 63 yards running, and a big portion of that was the pass to OJ Howard.

He regressed in the post season.

He destroyed us and looked like a prodigy early in the season. Looked lost in the postseason...not much was working besides the occasional keeper or bootleg-keeper.

Formula for beating Bama (if you have the beef)...make Hurts beat you with the pass.

Comment

• dbw021
          dbw021 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure who Bama has coming in at QB next season but I would think they would take a hard look at someone that could accurately throw the ball. I don't think Hurts really regressed. It was just that most of the teams facing Bama couldn't force them into passing situations. Clemson was able to force Bama into passing situations and exposed the young qb.

• nvargas
          nvargas commented
          Editing a comment
          dbw021, he sure looked pretty good against us.

• dbw021
          dbw021 commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought he looked good for a true frosh. But, he wasn't asked to do a lot in that game. Managed the game. Obviously, since he was a true frosh, USC didn't have a prep time for him. Bama has been able to win with average QB's over the pass decade because they have had superior talent on both sides of the ball. Don't you think it is shocking that a school like Bama that consistently has top 5 class hasn't been able to produce or develop a quality QB?

I think they were saying that Bama went 11 straight series without a first down. The Bama Defense was spent.
        I think Kiffin gets more first downs during the drought. That QB was missing him.

Comment

Originally posted by nvargas View Post
          The real question is what happened to Hurts in the post season? That's the mystery.

UW held him to 50 yards passing/50 yards running. Clemson held him to 131 yards passing, 63 yards running, and a big portion of that was the pass to OJ Howard.

He regressed in the post season.

He destroyed us and looked like a prodigy early in the season. Looked lost in the postseason...not much was working besides the occasional keeper or bootleg-keeper.

Formula for beating Bama (if you have the beef)...make Hurts beat you with the pass.

Well, you play better teams with defenses at the end of the season. It's like that in most sports.

Teams are also better prepared to defense you after seeing you play a lot.

Comment

• nvargas
            nvargas commented
            Editing a comment
            So the takeaway for us...Browne was not Hurts? We had a 1st year starter as well...and Bama figured him out just fine, but we couldn't do the same against them?

And as for teams having lots of film on each other...that argument works for both sides...but clearly Watson was the better QB and that was the difference.

Stating the obvious...I know.

• qqqqqqqman
            qqqqqqqman commented
            Editing a comment
            1) you're talking about Max Browns, who was very predictable BEFORE he even started a game.
            2) you're talking about Alabama's defense....better coaching and players than anyone else.

• DaFireMedic
            DaFireMedic commented
            Editing a comment
            Bama never had to figure out Browne. They only needed to follow the well known doctrine of pressuring the QB, don't let him set and throw. Alabama does that better than anyone, and Browne is not adept at evading the rush. Hurts is much more mobile, and although our defense did better than last year at bringing pressure, they couldn't bring it like Alabama did.

In Browne's defense, he did make some good throws in the first half. The pick six went right through his receiver's arms, and another receiver dropped a sure touchdown on a beautiful throw a few minutes later that would have had us right back in the game at the half. But Alabama shut him down by getting constant pressure almost the entire game.

Of course.....not because Sark did a bad job, but because the offense was probably thrown off by the change. Toss your sour grapes at KIffin, but the QBs at Bama did well under him and looked to him for guidance.

Comment

• aimeedee2
            aimeedee2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not the only one saying this. This has been a common Tues morning sentiment, even from Finebaum who is no Kiffin cheerleader. (For the record, I predicted Bama would lose because of the OC change.)

• KeenObserver
            KeenObserver commented
            Editing a comment
            For the record, there is no case that it was the OC change. They scored 31 points. If Saban didn't take on that cancer in the first place, he wouldn't need to have made the change.

• KANDI11
            KANDI11 commented
            Editing a comment
            I recall when Kiffin left the Vols. Everyone hated the guy, except the father of the starting QB. He was very complimentary of Kiffin. He felt that his son had improved immensely under Kiffin's tutelage and gave his son a chance to make it to the next level.

Disruptive change, for sure. Bama needed anything but a distraction to hold Clemson off this time around.

Comment

No. They only scored 24 on Washington

Comment

Originally posted by AnnenbergGrad View Post
              So does Bammer win with Kiffin at the helm on O?

It can't really be determined.

But if I were to guess, I would say no.

Sark did a solid job, and even had some imagination.

These teams are evenly matched as measured by the two close NC games.

Clemson's QB gives Bama's defense fits . . . and Bama's offensive unit wears Clemson's defense down.

IMO, the two biggest factors in Clemson's win this year were:

1) The Tigers had WR Mike Williams this time.

That kid might be the best WR in CFB. His two great catches in the 4Q were key to Clemson's comeback.

He was injured in last year's title game.

2) When Bama's RB Bo Scarborough left the game with a leg injury . . . everything changed.

Scarborough was running through Clemson's defenders in the first half, scoring two long TD runs - as he did to Washington's defense.in the semifinal.

When Scarborough got hurt, Bama could no longer control the game with the run, and wear Clemson down.

The game rested on frosh QB Jalen Hurts.

And although the kid is poised and made a big playwith the run, he could not pass well enough to keep possession of the football and keep Clemson's offense on the sidelines.

Great game.

Comment

• dbw021
                dbw021 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree about Mike Williams. He is the real deal. He killed Bama. Very interesting to speculate on what would have happen in last years game if Williams had have been healthy.

Well, firing your OC for the NC couldn't have helped. Kiffin really got under Saban's skin

Comment

It was a close game and could have gone either way like the year before. I do, believe, that we would have beaten Texas if Chow was OC instead of Kiffin/Sark.

Comment

They would still lose. Kiffin wouldn't have the guts to call that trick play on their last drive. And with their best RB out of the game he would call too many bubble screens and get some ass chewing on the sideline.

Comment

Working...
                  X